Friday, November 6, 2009

A True Feast

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. It's not just the scent of bay leaves simmering in chicken broth, the rich velvety pumpkin pie with whipped heavy cream, or the gathering of friends and family. It's the decadence of the day.  At Thanksgiving people go all out. There is no holding back. Potatoes three different ways? Yes! A turkey and a ham? Sure! Four desserts? Of course. Thanksgiving is a time to break out Great Grandmother's gravy boat, launder your linen napkins, and polish the flatware. People will journey great distances to congregate on this feast day. Plates will be filled, thanks will be given, and wine will flow. 


I also like Thanksgiving because I enjoy cooking, and no other holiday allows you to showcase your culinary prowess like this greatest of feast days. I usually start cooking about three days in advance. One year I decided that I wanted to have caramelized onions as a side dish. I peeled and sliced nine pounds of onions. Yes, this was a painful endeavor. By the time I was done I couldn't even begin cooking them. I couldn't keep my eyes open! So now, if I want to have caramelized onions, I slice a little at a time and store them in plastic bags until I have enough. Then I cook them all together. You can also make cranberry sauce, prep vegetables, and make pies a couple days in advance. I'd love to hear what tips and tricks you have to help with crunch time in the kitchen on Thanksgiving. Just click on comments to share. Happy cooking!

3 comments:

  1. For thanksgiving this year, or just as a fall dessert, I want make a legit pumpkin pie from a real pumkin (and possibly make the crust?) any recipe suggestions or tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I suggest purchasing a pie pumpkin, these are smaller, have sweeter flesh, and a better texture than the larger pumpkins used for decorating and Jack-O-Lanterns. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,

    I think my best advice about cooking the Thanksgiving feast is to remember to relax, I always say I will never pull this off, but I always do. My other advice is make sure you have someone there ( if you can ) for the last thirty minutes of getting everything on the table at the same time, while still hot, and still taking time to laugh. I also think if nothing goes right, that's o.k. too. HAPPY
    THANKSGIVING everyone!!!

    Patricia G.

    ReplyDelete