Friday, January 8, 2010

The Joys of Winter

I admit that Winter is not my favorite season. Okay, it isn't even in the top three. However, there are many things about this most inhospitable of seasons which I enjoy. I am always made somewhat melancholy when the vibrant colors of Autumn fade and all the growing things are made brown and gray by the first killing freeze, yet Winter has it's own austere beauty. The landscape is monochromatic. The snow creates a canvas which showcases the stark linear forms of the bare trees and the shadows cast by them. Snow itself is enchantingly beautiful as are frost and ice. The sky on a clear, still Winter night is breathtaking above all things.

In Winter I can't go out and enjoy my morning constitutional around the garden. I can, However, sit at the glass doors overlooking the back deck, coffee cup in hand and watch the amusing antics of the birds at the feeder. Cardinals, Woodpeckers, Tufted Titmice, Blue Jays, and many others stop by. I've counted almost three score at a time. It is a nice way to start the day.

Winter has it's own culinary delights to offer as well such as creamy potato chowder, savory beef stew, spicy chili, sweet hot cocoa, and warm fruit compotes. These dishes are very satisfying on bitterly cold Winter nights.

Other things I love about Winter: snow days, no ticks, and hot tea. What do you like about Winter?

Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening
by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.


2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. Well, Winter here in Australia is very different to yours. Considering I don't like the heat (and let's face it, we don't have Autumn and Spring here in Oz - it's 3 weeks of mild Winter and the rest Summer!)I think Winter is my favourite. No humid, suffocating heat. No old people dying of heatstroke. Clear, blue, breezy days. you can go to the beach without getting sunburnt. No drought in Winter. Well, except for the big 3-year one we just went through. But normally. We don't get snow in Queensland. I have never seen snow. I want to see it (I am the only one in my family who hasn't) but maybe not like the rest of the world is getting it at the moment! Throw a snowball at my husband's head & make a snowman and I'll be fine. No mozzies. Well, not as many anyways.

    On the downside - Winter here is not monochromatic. It's brown. But then, Summer mostly is too. So a moot point I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Bek, it sounds very nice in Queensland, right now. If you get the chance to see snow, take advantage of it. It is a unique experience, that seems magical.

    ReplyDelete