Thursday, May 27, 2010

Tomatoes, A Full Moon, And A Peach Tree

Greetings! I know that it has been a long time since my last post, I've been up to my elbows in dirt! That makes it a little hard to type. We have had a wonderful Spring here in the Ozarks. Even though it did seem as if Winter went biting and clawing the whole way. The garden is doing very well. Right now it is in-between phases. We are still harvesting cooler-weather crops such as snow peas and kohlrabi (however these don't have much longer) and the tomatoes, peppers and zucchini have already been planted. I only grow heirloom vegetables, and this year I am trying some varieties that I have not tried before such as Pineapple tomatoes. These are yellow with red marbling, weigh two pounds each, and are said to have a sweet and fruity flavor. Another tomato I'm growing is Black from Tula. This is a rare Russian heirloom that is a dark purplish color and is thought by many tomato aficionados to be the best tasting of all the dark tomatoes. I have also planted Yellow Mortgage Lifter, Amana Orange, Henderson's Crimson Cushion, and Copia. Even though it will be a while before these plants begin to fruit, I can see them sliced on a platter, drizzled with olive oil, and sprinkled with salt and freshly-ground pepper with, perhaps, some small basil leaves strewn over. This vision keeps me weeding.

The moon was full tonight. It rose in a clear sky at eventide accompanied by warm breezes and the song of a Whippoorwill. This is a great time of year in the mountains. The hay fields are busy and as you drive around, the countryside smells of wild honeysuckle and fresh cut hay. Intoxicating. Next week is our wedding anniversary. Each year to mark this occasion we plant a tree. This year we chose a peach tree called Golden Jubilee. Lovely pink blossoms, delicious fruit, and nice Fall color. What more could you ask for in a tree? Nothing (well, my husband asks that it plants itself, so other than that).

2 comments:

  1. I love the plant a tree for each wedding anniversary idea I was thinking you could take some nice pics of the garden and of your plantation .... you know am a great fan of your pics

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    Long time since we talked. I love the dark tomatoes , I planted black prince and black krim, and I think I have a volunteer cherokee purple from last year. Not that red tomatoes are not good also. The picture of your strawberries make my mouth water. Some people think we are crazy, working in a garden like we do, but I like to think gardening keeps me sane.

    your fellow gardener
    Patricia G.

    ReplyDelete